Radon gas is probably the last thing on your mind as a Owosso MI homeowner. “What tiles will look good in my master bathroom?” “Should I install sod or plant seeds to start my lawn?” These are just a couple of questions that run through the minds of excited home buyers. Questions about radon mitigation and testing in Owosso almost never come up, but they should.
Radon testing is of utmost importance to ensure the safety of your home and your loved ones. Every home should be tested for radon exposure, as elevated levels can pose serious health risks. Take action today and learn more about the importance of radon testing by visiting the CDC’s website.
Here are some facts about radon and radon mitigation Owosso MI homeowners should should know:
Although radon sounds like a scary situation, it is a relatively easy and inexpensive problem to fix. Radon gas is radioactive and damages cells which can result in cancerous tumors. While exposure to radon doesn’t lead to a cancer diagnosis right away, the substance causes continuous damage within body over time which can ultimately lead to development of the disease. Radon‘s radioactive particles are known to settle within the lining of the lungs and cause cell damage there. Researchers conclude that radon exposure is the cause of approximately 21,250 lung cancer deaths annually, including residents right here in Owosso Michigan.
Most health experts agree that exposure to radiation is toxic to the human body. Wheezing and difficulty catching your breath can result from radon induced lung damage. Radioactive substances are associated with nuclear power plants and uranium mines. Unless you’re a miner or work at a power plant, you probably don’t believe that your risk of exposure is high enough to warrant concern. In this case, you’d be wrong. Radon is a naturally occurring gas that’s a byproduct of decayed uranium found deep within the earth including areas of Owosso MI. When the gas rises from the ground, most of it dissipates in the outdoor air. However, some of the gas seeps into homes and commercial buildings and gets trapped inside. Since you can’t see, smell, or taste radon, the gas can build up to hazardous levels without anyone noticing the problem until it’s too late.
Interesting Facts About Owosso MI
Owosso is located in Shiawassee County Michigan. The population of Owosso MI and surrounding areas is 22,351. The City Clerk is Patricia Skvarenina of Owosso Charter Township-Shiawassee Cnty which is located at 410 S Delaney Rd, Owosso MI 48867. The local school system is Owosso Public Schools which has the national school code of 2627210 and FIPS code of 26155030600. The median income in Owosso MI is $45,203 with an unemployment rate of 6.3%. The average house value is $84,129 and median rent price is $731. Both single family homes and rental properties in Owosso Michigan should be tested for radon and mitigation should be performed when necessary.
The average age of Owosso residents is 34.8 years old. The local post office can be found at 319 N Washington St, Owosso MI 48867-9998. The city center has the following geo coordinates: 42.9955 latitude, -84.176 longitude which can precisely be found near 459 Genesee Street, Owosso, MI 48867. The metropolitan market falls within the Lansing-East Lansing, MI region and is within the 989 area code. Since Michigan radon problems are fairly common, it is important that all Owosso MI dwellings are subject to frequent radon testing and mitigation when necessary.
Owosso, Michigan encompasses the following counties: Shiawassee and includes the following zip codes: 48867.
Radon Problems in Owosso Homes
When you think of health hazards in Owosso MI, a slew of external threats come to mind. However, the radioactive byproducts of radon are a deadly foe that’s found right at home where you’re supposed to be the safest. If you have certain unexplained respiratory ailments, you should check for symptoms of radon exposure. Some of the common signals that your lungs have been compromised by radon include wheezing, coughing up blood, and chest pain. Radon gas is the second most frequent cause of lung cancer in America, including Owosso Michigan.
When experts conduct radon mitigation in Shiawassee County MI, they find that the gas and its radioactive particles are waterborne as well as airborne. The gas contaminates groundwater but often gets detected and removed at municipal water treatment centers. People who rely on well water should get their water tested for radon even though waterborne radon problems are generally less common than airborne, especially in Owosso. According to Virgina Hendrickson, radon gas is responsible for approximately 60 deaths each day in the United States.
The only way that you can make sure that your Shiawassee County home is free from radon is by testing the air and water in dwelling. While most people prefer professional radon testing, you can get a quick look at your home’s radon status with an at-home radon test kit. Most Owosso MI hardware stores sell these test kits and they are also available online at reasonable prices.
Basements tend to have higher levels of airborne radon than other parts of homes or businesses. If you have a basement, it’s best to start your test there. If your home is built on a crawl space or slab, conduct the radon test on the lowest livable level. As a resident of Michigan, radon testing and mitigation should be a routine step in home ownership. Although radon sounds like a scary situation, it is a relatively easy and inexpensive problem to fix.
More Information About Radon Mitigation in Owosso Michigan
If you have high levels of radon in your home or workplace, you’ll need a professional Michigan radon mitigation company to install a radon reduction system on your property. SWAT Environmental services all Shiawassee County, MI including Owosso and the 48867 area. During the installation process, technicians seal gaps, cracks, or openings that lead to the ground. They follow up by installing a system that creates vacuum suction under the building using negative pressure. Radon gas that builds up underneath the home gets drawn into the vacuum tubes and away from the structure before it seeps into interior spaces.
Conclusion: You probably already know that smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer in the United States according to the research that the American Cancer Society and Owosso health authorities continue to conduct. However, most people don’t know that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in this country. Wheezing and difficulty catching your breath can result from radon induced lung damage. This deadly runner-up slides under the radar with many homeowners because it’s not easily detected without a special test. After learning about the harmful effects of radon, governing bodies continue to advocate for widespread testing and radon mitigation across Michigan cities. Just remember, radon mitigation systems in Owosso MI are very common and actually increase the value of the home.